Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why So Natural?





As of lately many women have opted to let go of the creamy crack and embrace their natural curls. Some see this as a fast moving "fad train" that everyone seems to just hop on, which in a sense is correct, but this train is moving in the right direction!

I, for one, was so against going natural years ago. I thought nothing was better than my straight, easily styled hair. I never really experienced any real problems with my relaxed hair UNTIL I had a horrible run in with breakage. It was my freshman year in college and I was away from home. I had a relaxer and blonde hair color and did not know how crucial it was to keep my hair conditioned and moisturized. Needless to say, my hair snapped under pressure...literally and figuratively!



(This is me in April 2008...all the front of my hair had broken off...I had a mullet SMC!)

That was in 2008. Now after that, I continued to get relaxers but I died my hair darkest brown and made sure I took better care of it!



(This is my hair around October 2009. It was thick, healthy, long, and shiny :-)

It wasn't until April 2010 that I started to rethink this whole relaxer thing. I had gotten highlights in my hair because I thought it was healthy enough to withstand color treatment. I was wrong. My hair didn't suffer like the first time it was damaged, but it was definitely dry and breaking a little.



(My hair in May 2010. Definitely shorter again...my face was huge here too, lol, excuse that!)

SO...needless to say I went BACK dark and decided that I would no longer get relaxers. I like to change up my look every now and then, and I realized my hair didn't thrive under two chemical treatments (color and relaxer).

Those experiences all led me to where I am today. I could have continued to get relaxers and still have a decent head of hair...but I wanted ultimate health!

I was a YouTubing fool for the first 6 months into my transition...SHOUT OUT TO CHISELLECOUTURE...she was my HAIR IDOL! Hate that she left Youtube...ANYWAYS...back to the topic at hand...

Going natural was the BEST hair choice I've made and I would recommend it to ANYBODY! Those chemicals in relaxer are so harsh; although hair may seem to be healthy, it is substantially weakened by the permanent straightening process. I don't know about y'all but I like my hair FABULOUS and STRONG!

Tell me why you decided to go natural!! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment